The Parental Controls article is a brief introduction to The Parental Controls subject, what is it, how it works, tools that one can use, and some recommendations.
Most of our young children and teens go online to watch YouTube videos, Google, talk to their friends on WhatsApp, etc. But all this use of technology can also become a problem for them, since the dangers they contain are very high, such as cyberbullying, sexting, and contacts with unknown people.
It is essential to allow or deny the content that reaches the different devices, thanks to the use of Parental Controls we will be able to keep out of reach pages, files or videos of any device that we choose.
What are Parental Controls?
Parental Controls are tools used by adults. It is to control the access and use that minors give to the internet on different websites, operating systems, or computers. We can monitor browsing through parental control. We can restrict content not suitable for minors and block pages or users that may be a threat to children.
How Do These Tools Work?
The operation of this mechanism is usually very simple and intuitive. The app is installed on a computer, mobile, or tablet, and an account is created on the web, which is synchronized with your mobile so that you can enjoy the benefits of these tools.
The characteristics that this type of tools may have available are the following:
- Web Control: Parental control will allow you to block websites based on the different categories that exist, or if you prefer, you can put specific web pages that can be blocked.
- Application Control: In this way, we can prevent our children from having access to particular applications such as instant messaging programs, social network applications, access to web browsers, access to Google Play or Apple Store to make purchases, etc.
- Call Blocking: With this tool, you will block the phones to which calls cannot be made or received, in addition to defining the operation for international calls or unknown numbers.
- Time of Use: With which you can control the amount of time of use that your child can have access to different categories such as games or browsers.
- Alarms: With this, you will be able to set alarms for your child’s device, notifying him of anything.
- Geolocation: It allows you to know where your child is located, knowing where they are in real-time.
- Emergency Button: Add a “Panic Button” to your child’s phone with which it sends you an emergency alert warning of an exceptional situation.
What Simple Tools Do We have at our Fingertips to Get Started?
Don’t worry if you don’t know where to start, you have plenty of simple tools at your fingertips.
Here is a brief summary of the most used:
- Windows Live Family Safety
- Google Family Link
- Parental Control on Google Play
- OpenDNS Home
- Youtube Kids
- Router software
These are some free applications that you have at your fingertips. But there are many other paid applications on the market that allow even more exhaustive control.
If you’ve never tried any kind of technological parental control. The easiest to use are mobile devices’ applications, so we recommend you start there.
When your children are very young, try children’s browsers. If you are already teenagers. Your conversations are essential and technological support should go hand in hand with the time limit. For example, configuring device shutdown or no Internet connection at night via a router or through apps.
Let’s not forget that all these tools in no way replace our supervision. Our communication with children to find out what interests them about the Internet. How they use it, what they are looking for … To teach them to navigate with common sense and caution.
Parents are the best parental control. It is not only about CONTROL but also and above all about GUIDE THEM.