Why you need Netflix parental controls what are the advantages of what you can control and how to set up Netflix parental controls. Keep on reading for answers.
Netflix is hugely popular among all age groups, with a third of 4 years consuming Netflix content. They may even have their own account. Since Netflix contains plenty of child-friendly and educational shows, it’s fine to allow your child to use it. However, Netflix also contains some grown-up content.
Are you wondering how to control what content your child sees? Use Netflix parental controls. Here’s what it is and how to use it.
The Advantages of Netflix Parental Controls
Netflix parental controls are a good option for parents because:
- It protects your child from distressing content
- Can help limit your child’s screen time
- It gives you peace of mind that your child is accessing appropriate content
Read on to find out more about how to use Netflix parental controls.
What You Can Control
Netflix gives you a great deal of control over your child’s viewing habits. This gives you options to restrict Netflix as you see appropriate.
Here are the main things you can control with Netflix parental controls.
* AUTOPLAY: Netflix will usually automatically play the next episode in a series. This encourages viewers to continue watching since not doing so requires more effort. By disabling autoplay, it requires more effort to select the next episode. This is likely to help reduce your child’s screen time.
* MATURITY RATINGS: Movies and TV shows on Netflix come with a rating ranging from U to 18. If your child is under 12, then you may want to restrict their viewing to U and PG only. This can easily be done and is a pretty foolproof way to filter out inappropriate and explicit content.
* SPECIFIC SHOWS: There may be some shows rated U that you do not want your child to view. Perhaps it covers a particular topic that you find inappropriate. In this case, Netflix allows you to block a specific title.
How to Set Up Netflix Parental Controls
If you’ve decided that Netflix parental controls are definitely for you, then you’re probably wondering how to set them up. Fortunately, it’s incredibly easy! Netflix is intuitive to use, but here’s some advice for setting up the most popular Netflix parental controls.
- Disabling autoplay: Go to your Netflix account. ‘Click on Profile and Parental Controls’. Then click on the profile you wish to control. Click ‘Playback Settings’. Untick ‘Autoplay next episode in a series on all devices’. Click Save.
- Applying filters: Go to your Netflix account. ‘Click on Profile and Parental Controls’. then click on the profile you wish to control. Scroll to ‘Viewing restrictions’ and click change. Enter your password. Set the maturity rating to U, PG, 12, 15, or 18. Go to ‘Title restrictions’. Type in a title you want to block and select it when it pops up. Select submit.
You can also view your child’s history to make sure they’re sticking to appropriate movies and television shows. If anything worries you, then have a conversation with your child.
Netflix can be a great source of information and entertainment. However, it isn’t always child friendly. Use Netflix parental controls to ensure your child has a safe and happy viewing experience.